Changing your engine air filter
You have to breathe fresh, clean air to be at your best. And so does your engine—that’s why a clean air filter is so important.
A properly functioning air filter helps stop contaminants from getting into the engine, helping to extend its life.
It also lets the engine breathe easier, which can help enhance performance and efficiency.
When you should change air filters
Ford Motor Company recommends that you replace this filter every 15,000-30,000 miles, depending on your vehicle model.
But you may want to replace it more often if:
- You drive on dirt roads or in excessively dusty conditions
- You see a lot of dirt or debris in the filter
- You experience a rough idle or sluggish acceleration
- You experience decreased efficiency
Is it time for a new air filter? Let's find out.
- Start the engine and let it run until the temperature gauge reaches the normal operating range.
- With the engine idling, turn the steering wheel all the way to full lock, and then turn it the other way to opposite lock. Do this several times.
- Turn off the engine, and open the hood
- Locate the power steering reservoir. It is usually on or near the engine, and can have a white or yellow reservoir and a black cap.
- Wipe the reservoir clean with a towel or rag to prevent dirt from getting in while you work on it.
- Check the fluid level in the reservoir. Depending on the reservoir type, you’ll either twist and pull out a dipstick, or view “MIN” and “MAX” lines on the outside of the reservoir.
- If the dipstick or reservoir level is between “MIN” and “MAX,” you don’t need to add fluid.
- If the fluid is below the “MIN” line, remove the cap (or leave the dipstick out) and add power steering fluid in small amounts, checking the level after each time. Don’t fill it above the “MAX” line.
- Replace the cap or dipstick, and make sure it’s sealed tight.
Genuine motorcraft air filters
If you take care of your vehicle, it will help take care of you. And when you use a Motorcraft® air filter, you’re using a factory-approved replacement part that is specifically made for your vehicle.
Motorcraft air filters offer benefits, such as:
- More than 98% efficiency in stopping dust
- Treated filter material for better capacity and efficiency
- Tight, leak proof polyurethane seals
- Extreme temperature resistance
- Application-specific filters—not “one size fits all”
Visit your local Ford Dealership for a replacement Motorcraft air filter, or visit www.fordparts.com.