Add the latest SYNC® 3 software capabilities and performance enhancements to your Ford.
This latest version of SYNC 3 enables you to access Waze navigation and Alexa skills on your in-car display, provides access to Apple CarPay and Android Auto for even more Ford owners, plus overall performance improvements. Learn what's included in this SYNC update.
To install, the first thing you’ll need to do is make sure this SYNC 3 Without Navigation article is right for you. You’ll know if your in-vehicle display shows a compass instead of a map, as pictured above. Not the version you have? Look here for SYNC 3 with Navigation instructions.
Please report your update when you're finished so that we can keep you informed on further SYNC® 3 Applink® app catalog additions and other important changes.
Update SYNC 3 within your vehicle
2. Make sure USB is plugged into correct USB port. The system will state that it is updating.
3. You will need to wait about 2 minutes until the system prompts you that it is restarting.
4. After the system resets, you will be prompted to turn on automatic system updates. Select an option.
5. Once you dismiss the pop-up, after about 30-60 seconds, the SYNC screen will repopulate the upper status bar with the “Updating System Software…” message:
6. After about 7-8 minutes, SYNC will ﬂash the below pop-up (really quickly) and then automatically reset:
7. A system reset screen will display that looks like the image above.
8. After SYNC restarts again, you will see “System Updated” on the upper status bar with the ‘down arrow’ icon. This will be displayed for about 3 seconds.
9. After the “System Updated” message disappears, SYNC will show the following image for about 3 minutes.
10. After approximately 3 minutes, SYNC will display the below transient message in the status bar for about 10 minutes:
11. After 10 minutes SYNC will display an "Installation Complete" pop-up, press the “Close” button and remove the USB stick and perform a full ignition cycle (i.e. turn vehicle oﬀ for 3 minutes)
12. After the ignition cycle, you will see “System Updated” on the upper status bar with the ‘down arrow’ icon. This will be displayed for about 3 seconds.
13. After the “System Updated” message disappears, SYNC will display the ‘down arrow’ on the right side of the screen.
14. Congratulations! You’ve successfully installed the latest SYNC 3 update, completing step three of the process. Please report your update by following the link and jumping to step four. Reporting helps us provide you with more relevant information in the future.