Add the latest SYNC®3 software capabilities and performance enhancements to your Ford.
This latest version of SYNC 3 enables you to access Waze navigation and Alexa skills on your in-car display, provides access to Apple CarPlay and Android Auto for even more Ford owners, plus overall performance improvements. Learn what's included in this SYNC update.
To install, the first thing you’ll need to do is make sure this SYNC 3 with Navigation article is right for you. You’ll know if your in-vehicle display shows a map instead of a compass, as pictured above. Not the version you have? Look here for SYNC 3 without Navigation instructions.
Owners of vehicles with navigation can also update via Wi-Fi. Learn how to update via Wi-Fi here.
Please report your update when you're finished so that we can keep you informed on further SYNC® 3 Applink® app catalog additions and other important changes.
2. Make sure USB is plugged into correct USB port. The system will state that it is updating.
3. You will need to wait about 2 minutes until the system prompts you that it is restarting.
4. After the system resets, you will be prompted to turn on automatic system updates. Select an option.
5. Once you dismiss the pop-up, after about 30-60 seconds, the SYNC screen will repopulate the upper status bar with the “Updating System Software…” message.
6. After 20-25 minutes SYNC will display the "Installation Complete" pop-up, press the “Close” button and remove the USB stick and perform a full ignition cycle (i.e. turn vehicle oﬀ for 3 minutes).
7. After the ignition cycle, you will see “System Updated” on the upper status bar with the ‘down arrow’ icon. This will be displayed for about 3 seconds.
8. After the “System Updated” message disappears, SYNC will display the ‘down arrow’ on the right side of the screen.
9. Congratulations! You’ve successfully installed the latest SYNC 3 update, completing step three of the process. Please report your update by following the link and jumping to step four. Reporting helps us provide you with more relevant information in the future.