How to change 911 Assist settings
If you're in a crash that causes airbags to deploy or, in certain vehicles, the fuel-pump to shut off, 911 Assist® uses your paired phone to call a 911 operator. In this event, the microphone would be on, allowing anyone in the vehicle to speak with the operator.
It’s important to note that the 911 Assist feature is off by default, so you must change settings to turn it on. Most SYNC® vehicles can be upgraded* to include 911 Assist.27,28
* If your vehicle does not have the 911 Assist SYNC feature, a dealer upgrade may be available to add it. There may be a fee for this service, so please check with your dealership. Eligible vehicles include: Lincoln model year 2008 MKX, MKZ, and Navigator. Lincoln model year 2009 MKS, MKX, MKZ, and Navigator.
Changing the 911 Assist settings varies, depending on your vehicle model and year.
If you have a 2017 model year SYNC-equipped vehicle or newer, or one of the 2016 and 2015 vehicles listed below, follow the first set of instructions.
- 2016 model year, SYNC-equipped Escape, Explorer, Edge, F-150, Focus, and Mustang.
- 2015 model year, SYNC-equipped Edge, F-150, Focus, and Mustang.
If you have an older vehicle that is not listed above, follow the second set of instructions.
Press the Menu button.
Press the Arrows to move through the menu to SYNC Apps. Press OK.
Press the Arrows until 911 Assist appears. Press OK.
To enable 911 Assist, press the Arrows to highlight On. Press OK.
A confirmation message will appear briefly: "911 Assist ON."
To disable 911 Assist, return to the 911 Assist menu and press the Arrows until you see Off, then press OK.
If you choose Off, you will be prompted with “Set Voice Reminder On?”
Each time you turn on your vehicle, this feature will remind you that 911 Assist is Off with the message: “SYNC has connected your phone and is reminding you that 911 Assist is set to off.”
Press the buttons below the screen that correspond to your choice: Yes or No.
A confirmation message appears on the SYNC screen, either: “911 Assist, Feature OFF, Voice Reminder ON,” or “911 Assist, Feature OFF, Voice Reminder OFF.”
Second set of instructions
- Turn on your vehicle's engine while in Park, not Accessory mode
- Connect your paired phone
- Familiarize yourself with the controls in your vehicle
Press the Phone button.
Press the Arrows to scroll through the Phone menu until you see 911 Assist.
Press the OK button to select it.
Press the Arrows or Seek buttons until Return displays on the screen.
To enable 911 Assist, press the Arrows until you see Set On?, then press OK.
You'll see the confirmation message, "911 Assist ON."
To disable 911 Assist, return to the 911 Assist menu and press the Arrows until you see Set Off?, then press OK.
You'll see the confirmation message, "911 Assist OFF."