With a simple voice command, SYNC® 3 enables you to listen to text messages while your phone is securely put away. You may also be able to reply with one of 15 preset messages with voice commands.27
- Receiving a text message
When a new text message arrives, an audible tone will sound and the touchscreen will display a pop-up with the sender’s name and ID (if this feature is supported by your phone).
- Press the Voice button on your steering wheel and say, “Listen to the message.”
SYNC 3 will read the message aloud.
- If you wish to call the sender, press the Voice button and say, “Dial.”
- Replying to text messages with voice commands and preset messages*
After listening to a text message, press the Voice button and say, “Reply to text message.”
SYNC will then read the list of preset messages with corresponding numbers.
Reply with the number of the message you would like to send.
SYNC will confirm your choice.
*This option is not available with iPhones.
Note: Downloading and sending text messages using Bluetooth are phone-dependent features.
Certain features in text messaging are speed-dependent and not available when your vehicle is traveling at speeds more than 3 mph (5 km/h).
- List of 15 preset text messages:
- I'll call you back in a few minutes.
- I just left, I'll be there soon.
- Can you give me a call?
- I'm on my way.
- I'm running a few minutes late.
- I'm ahead of schedule, so I'll be there early.
- I'm outside.
- I'll call you when I get there.
- Stuck in traffic
- Call me later
Quick TipUse Siri Eyes Free and your iPhone to personalize text messages
With Siri® Eyes Free, you can use your iPhone® to send personalized replies to text messages. To use this feature, activate and tell Siri whom you want to text and what you want to say in your message. Siri will read your text back to you to confirm it and then send it when it’s ready. Siri Eyes Free is the only option for replying to text messages with voice and personalized messages with an iPhone.43,48
Learn more about receiving iPhone text messages with SYNC 3.