How do I install a SYNC software update?
You have an advanced Ford technology at your fingertips when running the most recent SYNC® software version in your vehicle. Keep pace with innovation by installing SYNC updates when they become available.
Here’s how to install SYNC® with MyFord Touch® software updates in your vehicle:
Before you start
- Download the desired SYNC update from your SYNC Owner Account onto a USB drive.
- Remove any other USB drives, devices or non-navigation SD cards that are plugged into your vehicle’s USB ports.
In your vehicle:
1. Start your vehicle. You will need to leave the engine running for the entire installation process.
You can drive your vehicle during this process without interrupting the software update, or leave your vehicle running while parked in a safe place. (Please do not leave your vehicle unattended.)
- Turn on the audio system, and set your audio volume at a low, but audible, level.
2. Insert the USB drive containing the update, and don’t remove it until the installation is complete.
The installation should begin automatically.
3. You’ll hear a SYNC message and see it displayed on your touchscreen, advising that the process is about to start.
- Press OK on the touchscreen, once the confirmation message appears.
4. The system will then reboot, and an installation progress bar will display on your touchscreen.
This segment may take up to 20 minutes, depending on your system.
5. When this part of the process has completed, a “Restarting System” message will display on your touchscreen. A reboot will occur during this process.
Your touchscreen may remain black for up to two minutes.
6. You’ll then see an “Installing Service Pack …” message displayed on your touchscreen for up to 10 minutes, depending on your system.
Your touchscreen may change to black for up to two minutes while rebooting.
7. The system will display the Home screen briefly, followed by a progress bar.
8. You’ll know that the update is complete once you see an “Installation Complete!” message on your touchscreen.
9. Press OK on your touchscreen, and remove your USB drive to enjoy your newly enhanced system.
10. Be sure to take your USB drive back to your computer to report your installation.
- If your vehicle has an optional SD Card Navigation system, this update is compatible with A3, A4, and A5 SD cards only. If you’re currently using an A1 or A2 SD card, call 800-392-3673 to request a new SD card.
- If your vehicle is equipped with the Intelligent Access with Push Button Start feature, you will need to temporarily disable the Automatic Engine Idle Shutdown (AEIS) component before beginning the installation, in order to prevent your vehicle from timing out and shutting off the engine before the software update is complete.