Before you start
There are a few things you should do before starting step 1:
While your phone is connected to the vehicle, go into your phone’s Bluetooth settings and activate Notifications. On your iPhone:
1. Tap Settings > Bluetooth > SYNC*
2. Set Show Notifications to ON.
*If you have two or more SYNC vehicles connected to your phone, please make sure you have activated the correct Bluetooth connection for notifications.
You can now test the text messaging feature. Have a friend or family member send a text message to your iPhone and check for the following:
1. SYNC should alert you to the incoming text message with a soft tone, and you should see a notification displayed on your center screen.
2. Press or pull the Voice button and say, “Listen to text message.”
3. SYNC should read the text message aloud.
If SYNC was able to display an alert and read the incoming text message aloud, you’re all set! You can continue enjoying this feature without additional set up.
Before you check if you can start using the text messaging feature right away, you’ll need to restart your vehicle:
1. Turn off the ignition.
2. Open the driver’s side door.
3. Wait for the instrument cluster to turn off.
4. Close the driver’s side door.
5. Start your vehicle again.
Also, ensure that your iPhone screen is locked. Your iPhone will only notify SYNC of incoming text messages when the screen is locked.
If SYNC never displayed the text message alert or was unable to read the text message aloud, then you may need to restore your iPhone to its factory settings and try these instructions again.
Warning: Restoring your iPhone to its factory settings will remove all of its data, music, photos, settings, and applications. We recommend backing up your iPhone’s data, using either iTunes or iCloud, so that you’ll be able to restore all of your personal data to your iPhone after the reset is complete.36