Care & Maintenance Tips
One Smart Feature – Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor™ (IOLM)
Several key factors that affect oil life include:
- Driving habits (such as towing and workload)
- Hours in operation and at idle
- Oil and coolant temperature
- Engine speed and torque
- Diesel particulate filter (DPF) cleaning cycles
The IOLM does not use oil quality sensors – it is entirely software-based and uses actual engine operating conditions to calculate the oil change interval by using an algorithm. This means the system must be reset after an oil change. Not doing so will result in a premature OIL CHANGE REQUIRED message.
Depending on driving conditions, oil change intervals are approximately:
- Up to 10,000 miles - Normal commuting with highway driving
- 5,000 – 7,500 miles - Trailer tow/high-load driving
- 3,000 – 5,000 miles - Short trip usage, extreme cold or hot temperature
NOTE: Actual mileage will depend on your specific driving conditions.
Under normal conditions, you will get an OIL CHANGE REQUIRED message at up to 1 year, or 10,000 miles from the previous oil change.
You’ll find a display in your instrument cluster’s message center that will notify you of oil change intervals by displaying ENGINE OIL CHANGE SOON or OIL CHANGE REQUIRED. The system will also indicate when fuel filters need maintenance, or if fuel pressure is low.*
*Refer to owner’s guide for specific applications.
Ford engines have been tested using Motorcraft® Synthetic Blended Oils. If you do use synthetic oil, it needs to meet the Ford specifications for motor oil and the specific oil weight as indicated in the owner’s guide. Ford still recommends using the oil change service intervals as indicated by the IOLM.
The IOLM will be available on most vehicles under 8,500 lbs. gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) and the all-new 2011 model year 6.7L Power Stroke® Diesel on the Super Duty® model. That translates into over 90 percent of the 2011 model year Ford, Lincoln and Mercury vehicles sold.
For in-depth details about the IOLM, please refer to your owner’s guide and diesel supplement.
Motorcraft® is a registered trademark of Ford Motor Company.
- 2011 Super Duty® Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor™ and Diesel Exhaust Fluid
- One Smart Feature – Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor™ (IOLM)
- How to Spot Battery Wear
- How To Spot Brake Wear
- How To Spot Shock And Strut Wear
- When To Change Your Oil
- When To Change Your Air Filter
- When To Change Your Fuel Filter
- When To Change Your Cabin Air Filter