Do It Yourself
2011 Super Duty® Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor™ and Diesel Exhaust Fluid
This advanced new feature measures several key inputs, including:
- Driving habits (such as towing and workload)
- Hours in operation and at idle
- Oil and coolant temperature
- Engine speed and torque
- Diesel particulate filter (DPF) cleaning cycles
You’ll find a display in your instrument cluster’s message center that will notify you of oil change intervals by displaying ENGINE OIL CHANGE SOON or OIL CHANGE REQUIRED. The system will also indicate when fuel filters need maintenance, or if fuel pressure is low.*
Your Super Duty includes new selective catalytic reduction (SCR) technology to dramatically reduce NOx levels coming out of your tailpipe. This technology uses DEF, a clear fluid that’s injected into your exhaust system to help convert NOx to nitrogen, a nontoxic gas.
DEF levels should be replenished at your dealership at every oil change to avoid running out. Certain conditions, such as trailer towing, will require filling the DEF tank more often. Your Super Duty includes a DEF monitor to track fluid levels, as well as warning messages when DEF needs to be refilled. Remember– your Super Duty will not operate properly without DEF.
For in-depth details about DEF and the IOLM, please refer to your owner’s guide and diesel supplement.
*Refer to owner’s guide for specific applications.
- How To Clean Your Vehicle
- How To Preserve Your Vehicle’s Value
- How To Keep Your Battery Well Maintained
- How To Keep Your Tires In Shape
- Getting Maintenance At The Dealership
- 2011 Super Duty® Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor™ and Diesel Exhaust Fluid
- How to Spot Battery Wear
- How To Spot Brake Wear
- How To Spot Shock And Strut Wear
- When To Change Your Oil
- When To Change Your Air Filter
- When To Change Your Fuel Filter
- When To Change Your Cabin Air Filter
- Keeping Your Engine In Top Shape